Monday, February 11, 2013

Start Again

One of the things that I wanted to do in 2013 is to actively write on my blog again.  I have left the thing high and dry for over six months!  While I'd rather not make excuses, I suspect my dwindled attempts is mainly due to becoming rapped up in reading other people's blogs (which is SO much more interesting than writing my own).

Starting again; slow and steady.  My goal is to post once per week and share with you things I'm up to in the studio, updates with my gallery, and other interesting things I come across whether it be revolving around other makers, interior design, food, fashion, travel, etc.  This seems manageable, and here we go...


Erin McIntosh, Connect no.117, watercolor on paper, 11x14 inches

To begin, I'll share something that I've also started again: sewing.  Mind you, I never have been much of a sewer.  Sewing was a regular part of growing up in the McIntosh household; my mom frequently and lovingly sewed clothes for my brother and I.  I tried to sew a few times with a machine my parents gave to me around my 21st birthday, but, I never really took to it.  With a measly attempt at a horribly constructed patchwork shirt under my belt, I consider myself a total newbie.  When I heard a beginning class was starting up at our very cool local Athens Boutique - Community, it didn't take much to get me to sign up! 

photo courtesy of Community Board,  photo credit: Ian McFarlane Photography


Feel inspired yet?  The photo above was taken by my awesome boyfriend who is one incredibly talented, bad-ass photographer.  Pictured here was a look from Community's recent fall collection.  Community is owned and operated by Sanni Baumgartner and features vintage clothing and hip upcycled re-designs.  Beth Graham teaches the sewing class and she is super sweet, patient, and knowledgeable.  Only after a few classes I feel I may become hooked.  Just yesterday, we learned how to construct a pillow and as soon as I got home, I started working straight away on my second project.

Here are the results so far; one pillow and one re-usable grocery bag made from a free pattern from BurdaStyle.  These were very satisfying to make!



This past week I've been sick, so I had some extra time to research sewing blogs.  I'll leave you with a couple I found, hope you enjoy!
Tilly and the Buttons
Colette Patterns (and here's the link to their blog)  


What are the things you have started, and then started again?


No comments:

Post a Comment