Monday, March 4, 2013

A Studio Peek





If you are like me, you are not good at keeping new year's resolutions.  This year is different though because there is one I can say I am following through with.  Here is the photo evidence, I am wearing gloves when I paint.  Everyday.  While they make me feel like I'm sitting in a dentist's chair each time I put them on, they make clean-up so much easier and help to put my mind at ease that I'm keeping certain pigments out of my body.  As far as some of the other resolutions, well, they need some work.  




While I am getting ready for my show at Gregg Irby Fine Art, I thought I'd give you a look at the place I work.  My studio is a bit of a wreck right now as I am finishing a few last paintings.  Paintings get delivered to Atlanta on the 18th of March!  

These days I typically work on an easel, although sometimes I work with my canvases on the wall and sometimes at a table.  One thing is sure, I am almost always standing when working.  My hamstrings and lower back are not my friends right now, but I am getting myself back into yoga to try to ease those little pains.



When you walk into my studio at Chase Street Park Warehouse, this is what you'll see.  There is really beautiful daylight from the skylight each afternoon.  And I love high ceilings, makes the space feel so open.   I've been in this particular studio for a little over a year now.  With a great space and even more wonderful neighbors, I couldn't be happier than I am right here.








Remember when I said I have a small collection of books, well, most of them, as you can imagine, are art books.  Exploring the Invisible is one of my favorites.  It was one of those stumble upon books that I found while wandering the isles of the UGA library.  After checking it out multiple times, I finally broke down to buy it, naturally.  This book has greatly informed my work.




There are lots of stuff in the studio, it is usually a little crammed.




Concrete floors, while not good for standing always look good with paint drops.





I have a few fresh tubes of paint.  Sap Green is a new color for me, I've never, ever used it until now.  I have found I can mix it with white to get a color that reads as a great gray against some yellows.  




And lastly, my work table, ready for more.


No comments:

Post a Comment